10.
When I try to take stock of what's been going on in my life for the past year, I am bowled over by the amount of changes that have taken place in my life. Check out the list.
1. I have graduated and left Perth for good (as a student no less, sobsob).
2. My family has 'dispersed' somewhat. My mum is adamant about living in Perth and not wanting to come back, except to fulfill the perfunctory requirement of renewing her Visa back in Singapore. No, my parents are not about to divorce and I still live with my sister and dad, although I am tempted kill the former at times and her me.
3. Because of 2), I haven't had a home-cooked meal by my mother for the past (almost) 2 years.
4. Because of 2) and 3), I really do treat my house like a hotel now. Go home after work, sleep. Wake up, go work, and the cycle repeats.
5. I moved church, had a traumatic time of adapting to the culture, trying to get to know people, trying to focus on worshipping while struggling with a different style and conduct that is so different what I was previously exposed to.
6. Started work in my present company on a high note that has sort of died down into a low moan of angst-ridden suffering. Perhaps I exaggerate, but that so aptly describes how I feel on days when my superiors are being plain stupid and ridiculous.
7. I started saving for my future by opening a bank account where I religiously deposit a few hundreds every month after payday. Sylvy and savings never had much in common, save for the letter S. Well, adulthood and the bloody responsibilities that come with it can't help but bring about a shift in priorities.
8. Gained weight. Gargh.
9. Started to lose touch with a few people who were important to me, whom I interacted with on a daily basis. Those 3 years spent living abroad had many positive aspects about it - nevertheless, it was not without some sacrifice.
10. Tsk, tsk. 9 out 10 factors all have negative connotations about them.
I think, looking at this list, that so much has changed, but in fact little has changed in reality.
I don't want to let go of my dreams either. I still think longingly of my great Backpacking Trip to Nepal/India/Cambodia/Vietnam. I imagine myself in popagandhi's shoes when I read her travelogues documenting her travels. I still get inspired by beautiful photographs whilst browsing Flickr, and I imagine myself in all those places, capturing those scenes on film.
But when reality kicks in, it bites. Because I am not living those dreams... not yet.
So, excuse me while I break out of this temporary reverie thatcomes with blogging, and go back to the world of juggling and managing expectations, responsibilities and me.
1. I have graduated and left Perth for good (as a student no less, sobsob).
2. My family has 'dispersed' somewhat. My mum is adamant about living in Perth and not wanting to come back, except to fulfill the perfunctory requirement of renewing her Visa back in Singapore. No, my parents are not about to divorce and I still live with my sister and dad, although I am tempted kill the former at times and her me.
3. Because of 2), I haven't had a home-cooked meal by my mother for the past (almost) 2 years.
4. Because of 2) and 3), I really do treat my house like a hotel now. Go home after work, sleep. Wake up, go work, and the cycle repeats.
5. I moved church, had a traumatic time of adapting to the culture, trying to get to know people, trying to focus on worshipping while struggling with a different style and conduct that is so different what I was previously exposed to.
6. Started work in my present company on a high note that has sort of died down into a low moan of angst-ridden suffering. Perhaps I exaggerate, but that so aptly describes how I feel on days when my superiors are being plain stupid and ridiculous.
7. I started saving for my future by opening a bank account where I religiously deposit a few hundreds every month after payday. Sylvy and savings never had much in common, save for the letter S. Well, adulthood and the bloody responsibilities that come with it can't help but bring about a shift in priorities.
8. Gained weight. Gargh.
9. Started to lose touch with a few people who were important to me, whom I interacted with on a daily basis. Those 3 years spent living abroad had many positive aspects about it - nevertheless, it was not without some sacrifice.
10. Tsk, tsk. 9 out 10 factors all have negative connotations about them.
I think, looking at this list, that so much has changed, but in fact little has changed in reality.
I don't want to let go of my dreams either. I still think longingly of my great Backpacking Trip to Nepal/India/Cambodia/Vietnam. I imagine myself in popagandhi's shoes when I read her travelogues documenting her travels. I still get inspired by beautiful photographs whilst browsing Flickr, and I imagine myself in all those places, capturing those scenes on film.
But when reality kicks in, it bites. Because I am not living those dreams... not yet.
So, excuse me while I break out of this temporary reverie thatcomes with blogging, and go back to the world of juggling and managing expectations, responsibilities and me.

2 Comments:
i am glad u are FINALLY starting to blog again. haha. XD
and dun sound so negative lar.
ur next task will be to think of 10 POSITIVE CHANGES!
:P
Don't give up your dreams! I am looking to backpack or do humanitarian work in Thialand, Vietnam, Nepal and Mongolia. Saving up for those things. I hope to be in missions someday...build orphanages in 3rd world countries. Do jio me along if U ever need company for backpacking!
Post a Comment
<< Home